Queer Lit Readathon Round 6 TBR

Queer Lit Readathon Round 6 is November 29th to December 5th 2020.

[IMAGE: Queer Lit Readathon Challenges for Round Six. Source]

Normally, if there's a bingo board, I want to go for blackout. I even made a plan for round six that required at least five hours of reading a day and titles of gloomier genres. So I tossed out that plan. 

Just because I have an impulse to blackout the bingo board, doesn't mean I have to follow it. 

Instead, I came up with a 3 goal challenge centered around personal reading goals and dusting off my digital shelves. It even had a semi-reasonable rate of sampling two titles or collections a day. 

Aaaaaand then I decided to simplify to one priority goal. Because I could use more calm and simplicity in my life. 

Goal: Allo Aro Reads

A poem, flash fiction, or web comic chapter a day - or more 💛💚

Reason 1: Balance

My Free Online Aspec Fiction, Poetry, etc is not balanced. I suspect there are fewer aro and specifically alloaro narratives in existance (compared to ace narratives), and that they are harder to find. But this imbalance is also because I started with ace-centric collections and then burned out. 

[IMAGE: November 2020 screen capture from "Free Online Aspec Fiction, Poetry, etc." Inclusion Statement. 87 asexual, 53 aromantic, 08 allosexual, 27 alloromantic, 20 demi/gray.]

On the Mistakes Page I made plans to balance the collection and on Is the Mistakes Page a Mistake? I admit I haven't been motivated to read lately. But now here's Queer Lit Readathon supplying some community enthusiasm to tap into. 

Reason 2: Curiosity

What recurring experiences do allo aro narratives include? Will some allo aro narratives have a different perspective on aromanticism compared to aroace narratives? Will allo aro narratives tend to be more specific in their descriptions of sexual attraction than allo allo narratives?

Reason 3: Research

For me, writing for self-expression means my aroace protagonist exists in a world filled with an aspec cast. Diversity isn't only about realism and inclusion. It's woven into how my protagonist understands and communicates their identity.*

The demisexual homoromantic ex-best-friend-with-amnesia, the allo aro secret agent who'd break all the rules to protect the protagonist as long as it doesn't compromise global security, and the I-don't-do-identity-labels teaching assistant are each a unique opportunity for conversations and realizations and connections. 

Seeing aroace and alloace characters live their lives and be complicated and find happiness was so important to me. I want to do that for more aspec identities than my own. 

Last but not least, a world with vibrant aspec characters makes me happy. 

How does all that relate to research?

I believe including marginalized often-stereotyped identities ethically (whether I've lived them or not) requires research (for a start). I don't know what I don't know. If I want my awesome secret agent and other allo aro characters to be positive representations, my next step is to read #ownvoices allo aro narratives.

*the same is true for how I express being white, chronically ill, traumatized, etc. and the similar and different identities and experiences of the characters my protagonist interacts with.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September TAAAP Chat Notes - Aplatonicism

Call for Submissions January 2021: Stories

Taking Space from Toxic Ace Spaces