August 2021 Carnival of Aces: Anything Goes!

This post is for the August 2021 Carnival of Aces: Second Change at Any Past Topic

I recently discovered the 10 minute drabble. A challenge to write a scene or microfiction of exactly 100 words in 10 minutes. 

What better prompts for my team of ace and aro superheros than the first year of Carnival of Aces prompts? How amazing is it that Carnival of Aces has been going for a decade?! 


Coming Out - May 2011

“Are you interested in our team?” asks a latina with lightning bolts dotted across her cape, the design clownish and out-dated.

“Um,” I say. I look up at the “Ace and Aro Heroes” banner. I had only meant to wander the booths to appear interested in various teams. It seems my subconscious had another plan. 

“How ‘out’ would I have to be, hypothetically.”

“Well, if you join the team people would know. Do you not want that?”

“I’m focused on the saving people part. I’m worried having to defend myself from all the ‘that’s not real’ would trip me up.”  

Community - July 2011

She covertly glances at the lack of crowd around us. 

“Do you want to meet the others?”

“Um.” I glance at the clock. Ms. Friend’s recommendation was to mingle for at least 20 minutes. It’s been two. “Can’t hurt to be social?”

“Well, people could see you and make assumptions.”

I wince. I knew this, but had wanted not to think about it. 

“Look, I just need to not seem too eager to join the team I really want.”

“Honesty. That’s fun.”

My nerves scratch panic up my arms. I turn to find a short white man standing behind me.


[time jump] 


Intersectional Race/Ethnicity/Culture/Nationality - June 2011

“Hold up,” says August. “I thought my team’s diversity wasn’t why you picked us. That’s why you changed the name.”

Mr. Tomlin opens another binder. 

“One - ‘Ace and Aro Heroes’ is not catchy. Two - a team of friends who happen to be intersectional is much more marketable. You must’ve done intentional recruiting to reach majority people of color, no?”

“I - that is - ” defends August. “This is different. Right Charlie?”

I want to melt into the wall, not be a third white person chiming in. 

“I mean - it’s a strength of our team right? It’ll help more kids connect with us.”


[time jump] 


Relationships - August 2011

“You wanted to see me?”

“There’s a rumor you like me,” he says. 

I take a seat in front of his desk. I was never sent to the principal’s office as a child. I wonder if it would be like this.

“Ah, I am sorry about that. I could tell that August could tell that my motives for being here were complicated, and his whole moral thing is to neither confirm nor deny if he hears a lie, so I rambled - and there’re many different kinds of liking you know.”

“I know,” he says. “Will you get lunch with me?”

[time jump] 


Media - September 2011

I open the door halfway. Tomlin stands inexplicably in the hallway. 

“Hello?” I say. 

“You forgot.”

I stand there blankly. 

“We have a date.”

“Oh shoot, I - I’m sorry something came up. Is it okay if we don’t?”

“Well, the media got wind of our date. Do you mind if I stay for about an hour so they don’t read into you cancelling? You can set me up at a table and I’ll get some work done.”

“Um - do you literally need a table?” I open the door the rest of the way. “I haven’t gotten around to … having furniture.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September TAAAP Chat Notes - Aplatonicism

Call for Submissions January 2021: Stories

Ace Daydreams