Queer Lit Readathon Day 4

Day 4

My goal for Day 4 was to focus on "fun" reads and progress on Freshwater.

Goal technically accomplished! I wished I'd created a more specific goal so I could feel more sure of completing it, but in breaking out of burn out it can be helpful to keep goals loose.

For fun reads, I read short story "Open House on Haunted Hill" which fills my "choose your own prompt" square to read a piece by an out LGBT+ author where to my knowledge the piece doesn't have clearly indicated LGBT+ characters.

I was expecting She of the Mountains to focus more on the positive after a single positive scene. I was incorrect. There are a few more positive moments spread out, but much of the content focuses on hardship. 

Woops. Not a "fun" read like the goal asked for, but I did finish. (To be clear, I found She of the Mountains to be meaningful and well-crafted, I just wouldn't label it "fun")

I am uncertain if I will use She of the Mountains for my "religion" square. At first I interpreted the "religion" square to want a story where a character has faith, is questioning their faith, or their lack of faith is explored. 

She of the Mountains weaves stories from (in the author's own words) mythology. Exploring the heritage and living the culture of story-myths could be considered an aspect of religion, regardless of the author's belief whether the story-myths literally happened.

And for the sake of my goal, I listened to a few minutes of Freshwater

Day 5 Goal

For Day 5, let's go ultra-specific, and edging toward difficult.
  • 36 pages of Tonguebreaker
  • 49 pages of Honor Girl and/or How to be Ace
  • 3.2 audiobook hours (less in real time) of Freshwater and/or Girls of Paper and Fire
  • 22 pages of Carry the Ocean
  • Daddy & Dada (picture book)
  • "A Vector Alphabet of Interstellar Travel" (short story)
These numbers come to you from a very fun Char-created spreadsheet that tells me the total number of pages (and time for audiobooks) I would need to read each day by type of book to return all book on time by their due dates (plus renewals). 

Let's see if tomorrow-Char can do this!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September TAAAP Chat Notes - Aplatonicism

Call for Submissions January 2021: Stories

Taking Space from Toxic Ace Spaces