The Views are a Lie

I didn't question it at first when I noticed some of my more recent posts had hit 30-40 views. I did notice the lack of comments, but I thought maybe that's just how the blog community rolls. 

And unlike with Youtube stats, I can't see how much of each piece of viewed content was consumed. So maybe a lot of the views were click through. Or maybe I wasn't presenting content in a way that encouraged comments.

So, I took the boost in views as inspiration to try to put out a post a day and see what sticks. Only the new posts were getting 0-1 views (which makes more sense seeing as how new my blog is and that I have yet to put time into exploring and commenting on others' blogs). 

At which point I checked the stats. 

[IMAGE: drastic spike to 392 views on November 12, 2020, then it flatlines back to near zero.]

 
[IMAGE: Romania 382]

I googled "blogger views from romania" and discovered that this is a scam where they are hoping I would click the link that directed all the views, and then get a computer virus. 

Except Google told me the views came from "Other" and never gave me the chance to fall for the scam. Thanks Google. 

Even though the inspiration for my latest writing goal was a lie, I'd still like to keep it up for a few weeks - maybe even through to the end of the year. It's skill-building, no matter how many people are reading.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September TAAAP Chat Notes - Aplatonicism

Call for Submissions January 2021: Stories

Taking Space from Toxic Ace Spaces